permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Neem/Tea tree

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Colin Endean <kunmanara@mpx.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Neem/Tea tree
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:43:02 +1030

Scratching my head for information....
Melaleuca alternifolia - native australian bush medicine, the oil
commercially distilled from plantation grown trees, marketed as Tea Tree
Oil. Active as an antifungal and other antimicrobial activity. I'm
unfortunately allergic to this oil extract having previously used it as
antiseptic for cuts etc. Probably quite considerably well researched for
human efficacy by now as I recall some studies underway 20 years ago.
Azadirachta indica - Neem Tree. I've no experience personally, however
I understand to be fairly potent insecticide activity. I'd want to be
assured that it is safe for human use before recommending use. Plant
source extracts can still be toxic.
Melia azaderach - native to australia "white cedar" deciduous, purported
to have similar activity to neem tree.
Colin