permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Worms eat my crap? & more

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Worms eat my crap? & more
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:40:15 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> they don't take as much management as a compost heap

I've never found that compost heaps take much management, myself,
though one can apply thoughtless and protracted labor to them and
they'll still work OK most of the time... ;-)

> Here's another idea I've been kicking around: Have a collection tray
> for chicken shit under the chicken coop, at a slight tilt. Run water
> over the tray daily, and allow it to continue into drip line
> irrigation...

See Art Ludwig's "Create an Oasis with Greywater" for why it is always
a bad idea to run any kind of graywater (and this would be graywater)
into a drip system. He's seen hundreds fail, and the only filtration
system he's ever seen that worked was a multi-thousand-dollar unit from
a company no longer in business.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA