permaculture - Re: [permaculture] head lice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bryan Innes & Joanna Pearsall" <permaculture@eartheal.org.nz>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] head lice
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:37:05 +1300

Neem is from India - but can be grown in suitable places elsewhere. We did
not have much luck here with the seed from Sri Lanka. I think seed sourced
from Nepal would be more suitable for us.
Tea tree can be either Australian (Melaleuca) or New Zealand (Leptospermum)
For head lice, when my younger daughter had an infestation that kept
returning over a 3 month period, I finally went to chinese herbalist, who
had studied the old texts (not the modern teachings). He made up a brew. I
only applied it once and she has never been troubled again.
Once she was rid of them I made up a mix of Australian tea tree with water
in a mister bottle. Each morning before school she would give herself a
quick spray. This seemed to work well as a preventative.(but I think neem or
leptospermum would have done as well).
Later she came out of school and used correspondence education instead. We
did not need prevention either then!