permaculture - Re: garlic- to trim or not to trim...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: garlic- to trim or not to trim...
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:25:18 -0700

At 07:14 AM 5/29/01 -0700, Krettler Family wrote:
I grow a lot of garlic, 26 varieties so far. I usually trim back the flower stalks
but there is some debate as to the benefit of doing this. Chester Aaron, a popular
author of several books on garlic, is convinced that the flower "scape sucks
nutrients, or energy, from the bulb." Chester cuts the scape almost as soon as it
appears. There are some recipes out there for using the flower scapes.

An Oriental coworker I had a few years back told me that she used to see these in the Asian produce markets, bundled, for about $4/lb. So they can not only be used at home but possibly converted into currency.

Build soil,

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S. Ivanova, ret.