permaculture - Re: garlic- to trim or not to trim...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Krettler Family <krettlerfamily@bctonline.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: garlic- to trim or not to trim...
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:14:53 -0700

I grow a lot of garlic, 26 varieties so far. I usually trim back the flower
stalks
but there is some debate as to the benefit of doing this. Chester Aaron, a
popular
author of several books on garlic, is convinced that the flower "scape sucks
nutrients, or energy, from the bulb." Chester cuts the scape almost as soon
as it
appears. There are some recipes out there for using the flower scapes. You
can also
use them like you would green onions.

When it comes to harvesting, I harvest almost as soon as the first leaves dry
and turn
tan or brown. In Oregon, this usually starts sometime around the beginning
of June.
In fact, this year it looks like I'm going to be starting harvest a little
sooner
since we have had such mild, warm weather this spring. Depending on the
variety it
may last to the end of June. I lay the garlic in shade until I am able to
hang it in
a shady, well ventilated area. (Under my kids tree house under the fir
trees.) I let
the hardneck varieties dry for about a month and sometimes longer. The
softneck
varieties we take down sooner if we intend to braid them. When I get ready
to store
them I take of only the very outer wrapper on the bulb. The garlic will
store longer
the more bulb wrappers there are. By August I am sorting the "seed" garlic
from the
"food" garlic and the garlic I intend to sell to pay for my kids yearly
swimming
fund-raiser.

Good luck,
Karen Krettler