permaculture - Re: garlic- Fall planting

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Krettler Family <krettlerfamily@bctonline.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: garlic- Fall planting
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:42:33 -0700

That is the truth.

Even though it takes longer I lay down at least three layers of newspaper on
my raised beds
before I plant. I spray the paper down to keep it from blowing away as I lay
it down and
anchor it with rocks or sticks. Then I punch holes through the damp
newspaper and plant the
clove about 3 inches deep and use my finger to cover it with soil before I
pull my finger
out of the hole. I use only newspaper that has no colored ink, only black.
The newspaper
eventually decomposes and the number of weeds is dramatically reduced. I
think I first
learned about this in a book I read "Growing Great Garlic" by Chester Aaron.
It's been
awhile though so I forget.

One thing about growing garlic is that it allowed me to meet Chester via the
internet and we
occasionally correspond. He has sold me some varieties I couldn't find
elsewhere. (I have
also been able to get some of his juvenile literature for my kids to read -
some of which is
out of print.)

Karen Krettler
Oregon City, OR