permaculture - garlic- to trim or not to trim...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gb0063551@cableinet.co.uk>
  • To: "Permaculture UK" <PermacultureUK@listbot.com>, "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: garlic- to trim or not to trim...
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 20:50:19 +0100

Sorry if this has already been covered....

I have garlic growing nicely on the allotment- it has just developed what
looks like a flowering stem which has a red ring around it- should I break
this off? I've never bothered in the past and always seem to get reasonable
crops, but would removing this stem actually increase yields? I also met a
guy on a permaculture course a few years ago who swore blind that you should
always trim back the leaves of garlic, again to increase yield- again, I've
never bothered- any comments anyone?

Graham Burnett
35 Rayleigh Avenue
Westcliff On Sea
Essex
SS0 7DS
NOW AVAILABLE; 'PERMACULTURE- A Beginner's Guide' £5.00 inc P&P
go to http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/landlib/flyer/ for info...

Land & Liberty http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/landlib/
My artwork http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/landlibpic/
Our Garden http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/Garden/