permaculture - Re: Water Catchment Walls -Reply

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Water Catchment Walls -Reply
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:41:15 -0700

At 09:46 PM 12/12/00 +1100, you wrote:
>Can you give me a website where I can find design examples/principles
>of 'first-flush diverters' ? Tnx. Guy
Don't know of any web sites - find a copy of 'Permaculture: A Designers
Manual" by Bill Mollison - it has 2 simple but effective designs in the
water chapter

Best diverter I have seen was in Brazil. Where the water leaves the roof it goes into a 12" pipe which has a soccer ball in it that fits very snugly. The water fills the 12" pipe floating the ball to the top of the pipe the top of the pipe has a bell reducer (12" to 6") in which the ball, acting like a valve, closes. This allows the water, now coming from a clean roof, to flow through the "T" at the top of the reducer to the cistern. The 12" pipe can either be sealed at the bottom with a faucet to drain it or it can be gravel packed at the bottom with weep holes to allow the water to subside and the soccer ball to return to the bottom of the pipe.

It's easier to describe with a drawing but hopefully you get the point. It is much less complicated than the Mollison model and more elegant in its execution and performance.

Hope this helps!

Scott