permaculture - Re: Water Catchment Walls -Reply

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Guy Brouk <BROUKG@unhcr.ch>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Water Catchment Walls -Reply
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:19:25 +0100

Can you give me a website where I can find design examples/principles
of 'first-flush diverters' ? Tnx. Guy

>>> <permed@nor.com.au> 12/07/00 06:05am >>>
>> I'm curious to know how many people using rainwater actually drink it,
and
>> what kind of treatment they use.

We drink our rainwater direct from the tank without any treatment - it's
the best water and we have people filling their drink bottles here in
preference to town chlorinated water.

It's important to have a closed tank so no sunlight enters to stimulate
algae growth and that all in- and out-lets are screened against insects.
Also need to clean collection gutters and if you look in the designers
manual there are designs for first flush diverters to divert the first
bit of rain together with dust and bird poos that collect on the roof &
in the gutters.

Many Australians first preference for drinking water is pure rainwater -
of course you need to look at airborne pollution factors with urban and
industrial areas up wind.
Robyn

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: BROUKG@unhcr.ch