permaculture - Re: Microwaved food

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Hugh Lovel <uai@alltel.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu, bdnow@envirolink.org
  • Subject: Re: Microwaved food
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:00:42 -0500

>Hello All
>Does anyone know of any known probs with microwaved food? I know some
>people hate the machines but is this just a personal prejudice? I find them
>convenient and energy efficient (and I don't live off ready meals!). I'd
>need to know more about any negative sides before giving mine up!
>Thanks, Angie
>Angie & Andy Polkey
>Pengwndwn
>Swyddffynnon
>Ceredigion
>SY25 6AN
>
>01974 831300

Angie,

Unique radiolytic by-products. Unknown chemical compounds in your food.
That's what microwave radiation creates in your food chemistry as it
too-energetically loosens chemical bonds in places they wouldn't normally
turn loose and rejoin. If you don't mind, go for it.

As any good chef will probably tell you, however, it is no way to get the
finest flavors from food. Most of them won't even touch electric ranges,
preferring the savory superiority of gas, which in terms of how it affects
food chemistry is second only to wood.

What you'll pay down the road for the "convenience" of a microwave is
anyone's guess.

Best wishes,
Hugh Lovel
Union Agricultural Institute