permaculture - Re: Living Fences

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Living Fences
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:15:33 -0700

Greg Ernst wrote:

> Keith Johnson wrote:
>
> > FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Eric Storm wrote about the value of Living Fences...
> > >
> > > Ok, sounds good to me:)Can someone recommend fast growing, suitable
> > > trees or
> > > shrubs suitable for living fences in temperate zones ...central
> > > Kentucky in my
> > > case.
> >
> > Honey and black locust , hawthorn, osage orange, mulberry, holly, privet,
> > pyracantha, eleagnus, barberry, etc.
>
> Keith,
>
> Although osage orange wood is probably the best longest lasting for
> fenceposts, I
> would be concerned about using live osage orange trees as a living
> fencepost. The
> "green orange" fruit they drop has some pretty toxic makeup, and I would be
> concerned
> whatever it is you have fenced up could be made sick or even killed by
> ingesting
> these "fruits".
>
> I wonder what different livestock are smart/dumb enough to eat these toxic
> green
> oranges?
>
> Greg E.

Thanks Greg,
The fruits are eaten by deer, while squirrrels and quail eat the seeds.
Given the long
lasting character of the wood and its insect repellant qualities, its
likely to be fairly
toxic. I intend to research more fully as my library only had a half
dozen references.
Despite its toxic character, I still feel that there is a place for it
in a well-rounded
polyculture, due to its many valuable traits.
Keith
Here's some date from Plants for a future's website.
Alternate Name: M. aurantiaca. Toxylon pommifera.
Known Hazards:
The milky sap can cause dermatitis in some people. An
extract and the juice of the fruit is toxic, though
a 10% aqueous infusion and extract diluted 1:1 are not
toxic.
Range:
Southern N. America - Arkansas to Texas.
Habitat:
Woods, fields and thickets in rich bottom lands.

Edible Uses

One report suggests that the fruit is edible but this is surely a
mistake - although very large, the fruit is harsh, hard, dry and
astringent. The fruit does, however, contain an anti-oxidant which can
be used as a food preservative, especially for oils.
The heartwood and the root yield a non-toxic antibiotic that is useful
as a food preservative.

Medicinal Uses

Cardiac, Ophthalmic.

A tea made from the roots has been used as a wash for sore eyes.
The inedible fruits contain antioxidant and fungicidal compounds. A 10%
aqueous infusion and an extract diluted 1:1 have
cardiovascular potentialities.

Other Uses

Fuel, Shelterbelt, Hedge, Tannin, Preservative, Repellent, Dye, Wood.

A yellow dye is obtained from the bark of the root and the wood. Green
and orange can also be
obtained from it.
The sap of the fruit is used as an insect repellent. It is said to be
effective against cockroaches.
The bark is a source of tannin.
The plant is often grown as a hedge in N. America and Europe, it is very
tolerant of severe pruning, makes an
effective stock-proof barrier and succeeds in maritime exposure. A hedge
in a very exposed position at Rosewarne in
N. Cornwall has grown well (1989), though it is very bare in winter. It
is also used in shelterbelt plantings.
Wood - coarse-grained, exceedingly hard, heavy, flexible, very strong,
very durable, silky, lustrous. It weighs 48lb per cubic
foot. It is seldom used commercially, but is used locally for fence
posts, bows etc and makes an excellent fuel
though it sputters and pops throwing off sparks.