permaculture - Re: Living Fences

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Living Fences
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 13:38:58 -0700

FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Eric Storm wrote about the value of Living Fences...
>
> Ok, sounds good to me:)Can someone recommend fast growing, suitable trees or
> shrubs suitable for living fences in temperate zones ...central Kentucky in
> my
> case.

Honey and black locust , hawthorn, osage orange, mulberry, holly, privet,
pyracantha, eleagnus, barberry, etc.

> I've seen lots of such in tropical countries where the trees are often used
> shade coffee, other nursed crops then cut back as the nurse crop matures.
>
> Any ideas on what " nursed crops" can be grown well under such conditions
> here?

Actinidia (hardy kiwi), some grapes, gooseberries, currants, bramble fruits of
many varieties, service berries, blueberries, asparagus, wild garlics or
ramps,
horseradish, lovage, nettles, sorrel, watercress, chard, endive, kale,
lettuve,
mustard, spinach, comfrey, mints, and others. Read How to Make a Forest
Garden by
Patrick Whitefield. Available from the Permaculture Activist.Keith Johnson