permaculture - Re: Living Fences

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg Ernst <gje@metaphasetech.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Living Fences
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:48:37 -0400

Keith Johnson wrote:

> FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Eric Storm wrote about the value of Living Fences...
> >
> > Ok, sounds good to me:)Can someone recommend fast growing, suitable trees
> > or
> > shrubs suitable for living fences in temperate zones ...central Kentucky
> > in my
> > case.
>
> Honey and black locust , hawthorn, osage orange, mulberry, holly, privet,
> pyracantha, eleagnus, barberry, etc.

Keith,

Although osage orange wood is probably the best longest lasting for
fenceposts, I
would be concerned about using live osage orange trees as a living fencepost.
The
"green orange" fruit they drop has some pretty toxic makeup, and I would be
concerned
whatever it is you have fenced up could be made sick or even killed by
ingesting
these "fruits".

I wonder what different livestock are smart/dumb enough to eat these toxic
green
oranges?

Greg E.