percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Chimp is a challenge

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey Perkins" <karey1 AT charter.net>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Chimp is a challenge
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:47:52 -0400

Rhonda,

Of course, Nikki knows more about what Walker said personally, but in his writings he always maintained that chimps and other animals could communicate dyadically – but their sign language and other communication never rose above the “sign” level to symbol.  He seemed pretty adamant about that, even though it was not written in stone in the general field, as Nikki says.  Interestingly, Susanne Langer, his mentor in symbol (of sorts), felt otherwise – that higher primates were capable of rudimentary symbol, and gives examples in her “Philosophy in a New Key.”  For Walker it seems to be a qualitative difference; for Langer, it was quantitative.

Karey