percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Chimp is a challenge

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey Perkins" <karey1 AT charter.net>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Chimp is a challenge
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:09:49 -0400

Good point.  Percy said language was necessary for consciousness.  That’s something I’ve been trying to decipher.  What exactly is he meaning by consciousness? Are my cats not conscious?  They definitely feel.  Are they only conscious to the point of survival impulses, instinct, and the emotions related to the two?  I think if we interpret Percy’s claim, it has got to mean that you can’t know something beyond survival impulses unless you have language.  You can’t be aware of the inevitable arrival of death, and so can’t experience “the denial of death” and the anxiety of death and the need for a causa sui (cf. Ernest Becker) – or other human emotions, such as guilt and regret and redemption.  (I’m quite certain my cats don’t feel guilt.)   Is that what he means by consciousness?

The huge evolutionary gap that Langer speaks of, that Robert points out, might explain why Percy continually insisted on a qualitative difference – it really seems that way if the quantitative difference is so big.  Though if it’s really quantitative, there’s a whole separate set of implications about who man is and how he differs from other creatures – that are belied if it’s qualitative.

Karey