percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Chimp is a challenge

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Nikkibar AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Chimp is a challenge
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:43:24 EDT

Dear Marcus,

You bring up with painful nostalgia, a long running argument that i carried on with Walker for a great many years. He always asserted that animals of the "lower orders" were unable to communicate -- not only with us but with one another, while I held to the view that 1) he was probably wrong and or 2) that in any event we could never be certain but 3) that it was a measure of our hubris to deny the possibility. As times have gone forward since his death, the empirical jury is still out in my view, but I think my position grows stronger day by day.

Nikki