percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Lit Crit on Percy - Where to Start?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Robert Eckert <rgeckert AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Lit Crit on Percy - Where to Start?
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:54:44 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,

In one interview, Percy, when asked a question concerning something about living at another time,  said he would like to sit on a park bench in NYC in the year 2050 to see how we were doing. To see if we made it.

Will we?

Percy's questions concerning human destiny are still relevant.

Even more so in a post 9/11 age.

Bad people possess the capability to inflict inordinate damage upon you and everything you know.

Imagine a well orchistrated bioviolent attack involving Soviet bioweapon technology.

Imagine an attack involving genetically engineered versions of small pox.

Imagine a dissemination of a contagious deadly disease against which we have no immunity.

What will Percy find during his fifteen minute 2050 visit?

?

CPL Robert Eckert
172 Chemical Co
Ft. Riley, KS  66442

You're right, Karey. Foote didn't get the language business that was so central to Percy. But what I found was revealing in their correspondence was the insight into Percy's process and his priorities.

--Rhonda

"You live in a deranged age, more deranged than usual, because in spite of great scientific and technological advances, man has not the faintest idea of who he is or what he is doing."

                                    Walker Percy