percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Lit Crit on Percy - Where to Start?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Lit Crit on Percy - Where to Start?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:22:02 -0700

I thought you all died! Glad to know you were merely sleeping (as was I).

Both Lawson books are tops, and most of what's out there adds to the critical conversation on Percy (I'd steer clear of the Poteat book, though. It's pretty far off course). The collections of letters--A Thief of Peirce--and the Walker Percy Shelby Foote letters are interesting for the insight they offer. And, give Lost in the Cosmos, by Percy, a read. It's the closest he came to setting down his philosophy in one place.

--Rhonda

"You live in a deranged age, more deranged than usual, because in spite of great scientific and technological advances, man has not the faintest idea of who he is or what he is doing."

                                    Walker Percy