percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Lit Crit on Percy - Where to Start?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Doug" <mitchdl AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Lit Crit on Percy - Where to Start?
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:27:26 -0600

Ah, springtime! All the slumbering Percians emerging from their long dyadic dreams and reemerging into the bright triadic world, blinking bemusedly...Well timed, Jeff.

Karey's list is a great help (thanks for sending that around, Karey). If you're wondering where to start, I would say Jay Tolson's biography (a well-written intellectual bio) and two relatively recent books: John Desmond's Walker Percy's Search for Community (great readings of all the novels and a sound intro to Percy's semiotics) and Farrell O'Gorman's Peculiar Crossroads (for Percy and O'Connor in relation to mid-century Catholic thought and southern letters generally).

Best,
Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Ballow" <jeffballow AT nycmail.com>