percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Does Deconstruction Have a Future?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Ken Armstrong <armstron AT ohiou.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Does Deconstruction Have a Future?
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:34:18 -0400

At 10:56 PM 10/7/2003 -0400, Jim Piat wrote:
Dear Ken,

Thanks for your comments. I think you make a good point. However, it seems to me one could as well argue that the naive realists take a partial truth (that the ability to communicate depends in part upon a shared or common interpretation of events) and generalize it into an absurdity -- i.e. what is self evidently the "real" meaning of events for oneself is also self evidently the meaning of events for everyone.

OK by me to make the argument against naive realists, I don't know who they are ( Bloom?) and how they get into this mix. But let's do call out anyone who tries to subdue the whole truth to a partial truth. Only let's not excuse the deconstructionists because the naive realists are doing it, too (and, of course, vice versa).

Such egocentrism reminds me of the joke that professor Bloom appears to have mistaken his own bowel sounds for the rumblings of the universe.

On the other hand, if Blake could see the universe in a grain of sand, why shouldn't Bloom hear it....

Cheers,
Ken A.