percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Does Deconstruction Have a Future?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "James Piat" <piat1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Does Deconstruction Have a Future?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:05:55 -0400

Dear Ken,

It seems that once again I've gotten in over my head in this discussion.
For me Blake's comment about perceiving the universe in a grain of sand in
part makes the point, emphasized by deconstructionists and others, that all
texts, even the least of texts, are far richer in meaning and
interpretations than we sometimes suppose. But that's just my
interpretation. I'm curious how you read it. Each time I read it I get
something new from it.

You wrote:

>> I get nervous around people who proclaim that their actions are
> animated by love, and, the tacit implication is, therefore they are
> positive.
> This may not be what JD is doing; or it may be a case of "with
> affirmative exigencies like these, who needs oppositional strategies?"

Interesting comment, is there is only one real meaning and answer to the
questions you raise -- just waiting for someone to provide the definitive
interpretation and explanation? Or might it be that meaning is a process of
unfolding with some paradoxical aspects that defy absolute resolution?

As for my comments about Bloom and Bennet -- just jokes. My apologies if I
have gone too far. I know both are highly regarded scholars. I hope to keep
quiet for a while and let others get in a word.

Thanks for your comments.

Jim Piat