percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Does Deconstruction Have a Future?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "James Piat" <piat1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Does Deconstruction Have a Future?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:31:27 -0400

Dear Steve,

Now your talking a language I can understand.  Yes, I'm as egocentric as the next.  That we are all in some ways alike and in other not is what makes communication possible and absolute agreement as to the meaning of words or the events to which they refer....  improbable.  I suspect the reason your students can not grasp the meaning of the deconstructionists is that they like their instructor are trapped in the Western text and apparently can not appreciate the distinction between meaning and reality.  Beware the man of one text  -- "for now we see through a glass darkly".

I think much of the over reaction (misunderstanding, nervous tittering, denunciation, etc)  of Christians to Derrida is rooted in the distinction between the Jewish and Christian conceptions of God. In one tradition to speak the name of God is a blasphemy (emphasizing the distinction between text and reality) whereas in the other there is an emphasis upon a concrete, literal incarnation of God.  Thus the latter text (though considered mistaken by some) is more readily grasped and has a thousand times more adherents than the former.  I'm not saying one is right and the other wrong of course  -- just that Derrida is, er, not for everyone.

Tea?

Hell, Steve  -- I'm just kidding  --seriously.  As I assume you are in part as well.   Actually, really,  really,  I think there is some truth and falsehood in all positions including and most certainly my own.  But I can't be certain -LOL.  For me the center does not hold.
Cheers,
Jim Piat