percy-l - Re: [percy-l] After Theory

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "James Piat" <piat1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] After Theory
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:50:56 -0400

Dear Jim,

I read most of Eagleton's book on Literary Criticism (or theory -- can't remember now) and am an admirer of his work, but I think that here he stretches a bit to miss Derrida point which of course he also argues for at the same time.  On the one hand he himself argues for the view that God is everywhere in general and nowhere in particular or exclusively and on the other hand still ambivalently wants to kill the humble post modern messenger.  Like us all he wants to somehow  have his cake and eat it too  -- to both share God and have God all to himself.  Or so it seems to me.  Thanks for another interesting post.

Cheers,
Jim Piat

In this extract from Terry Eagleton's book "After Theory," there
are threads of connection here with the piece posted here two days
ago, "Does Deconstruction Have a Future?"

Jim