percy-l - [percy-l] In and About the world

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] In and About the world
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:28:33 -0500

Jim,

I think you're on to something with Percy's conclusions about the ability to "symbolize" as evidence of God's presence. Moreover...I think there is a very strong connection to the Incarnation --which is one reason why Gnosticism is so offensive.

The Incarnation is God's embodied pronouncement of the eternal Word, Jesus. In some way...God "spoke", he uttered THE WORD (see Genesis and John's Gospel), and through this the world was created. And then later in a more precise way, Jesus was made...The word made flesh.

I haven't seen Percy describe it just this way, but if he has please let me know...  A theory that I have been trying to work out (hardly unique since John has mostly outlined it in his Gospel) is that somehow, concepts (and our words for them) are "conceived" in our thoughts in much the same way that Jesus (THE WORD) was conceived in Mary...which is also why she was a virgin. The creation of the world is a mystery to us, and so it is with the creation of Jesus in Mary's womb (I like to think also that Mary had made her particularly receptive to God's inpregnation in her prayers...which is what prayer is, making ones self available).

More than just real human persons who figure importantly in our history, Mary and Jesus are also manifestations of much larger cosmic truths; and they show the way God works in our very language. In love, especially when we make ourselves available in prayer, silence, and contemplation, we are somehow "impregnated" by our creator, and we "conceive" of ideas, intuitions, feelings, perceptions, etc, ...and we then give birth to words. (This is one reason why I am holding to our Creator's masculine nature, at least in so far as it demonstrates our relationship to him...Of course God is not a man, nor a woman. God is both and neither. Nothing sexist about viewing it this way...It's merely fitting).

This is also, I believe, why humans are so unique among the beasts -- our ability to use language in this particular way.

Cheers!
Steve