percy-l - [percy-l] Judgement and Pride

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Judgement and Pride
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:00:53 -0500

Title: Re: [percy-l] God's Gender and Ham Sandwiches
Again, our problem is not that we judge too much, but too little...far far too little.  We are too tolerant of wrongful behaviors, (and the Church is no exception to this).

If a parishoner admonishes (judges) a priest for fondling her teenage son/daughter, is that prideful? (Apropos, I think...this hideous scandal was only possible because of a LACK of judging by Church authorities!!!  And look at the terrible consequences!!!).

If a woman admonishes (judges) her next door neighbor for showing the neighborhood children pornographic pictures, is that "prideful"?

If a parent admonishes (judges) a boy for kicking the dog...is that "prideful"?

If a teacher admonishes (judges) a student for cheating, is that "prideful"?

If a friend admonishes (judges) his diabetic friend for eating too much ice cream, is that "prideful"?

If a pastor or priest admonishes a couple for having adulterous swinger parties because it's not only unhealthy for their relationship (and their children's well-being), but because it's scandalous and unhealthy for the community (for it flies in the face of healthy social structure evidenced in all socieities, and not merely supported by theology but also history and research and dare I say common sense), is that prideful?

If a man admonishes his friend for having incestuous relations with own his daughter, is that prideful?

If a woman admonishes her friend for her promiscuity, is that prideful?

HARDLY...in each case (and there are an infinite number of cases like this) they are acts of LOVE...fierce and courageous acts of love. AND they are absolutely NECESSARY.

Karey... we MUST judge. In each of the above cases the person doing the judging obviously sees a little clearer than the person being judged. True, we should not attempt to remove the speck from another's eye until the plank has been removed from our own. For example, if I were sleeping with 20 different women, some of who were married, I could hardly judge my friend for cheating on his wife. But, if I then stopped philandering...l could...and indeed must... admonish him for his adultery ---out of LOVE for him (and his family).

In each of the above cases, the plank HAS (more or less) been removed from the eye of the person who is doing the judging, at least in so far as the plank obscures one's ability to see that particular wrong.

It's wrong to kick a dog; wrong to molest; wrong to cheat; wrong to risk one's health; wrong to show porno to children; wrong to do any number of things.

Moreover, in each case above the person doing the judging has not determined the wrongness of the behavior on his/her own. The rightness or wrongness is clear and self-evident. Why? Among other things, our experience and common sense which is informed, or at least directed, by the Natural Moral Law. (Which is as changeless as the law of gravity, by the way, and great harm is done to those who ignore it's binding properties).

However, if no one were to point these wrongs out --Indeed if they are enthusiatically inverted-- the clarity can become muddled and less and less self-evident. And is demonstrated with the recent priest scandal....terrible harm is done.

This is what has happened with homosexuality --or any number of deviant or immodest or behaviors. Unless this sort of behavior is challenged, only great harm can come of it.

Now, there is no question that men and women feel overwhelmingly compelled to their own sex. But, that alone means absolutely nothing. Homosexuality is a deviant and unhealthy _expression_ of love.  There are people who fell overwhelmingly compelled toward food, acts of agression, little children, etc... So, in the same way that violence is a deviant and unhealthy _expression_ of anger, homosexulaity is a deviant and unhealthy _expression_ of love. Simply because the impulse is there, no matter how overwhelming it may be, acting on it is wrong and harmful. It's harmful to those involved and to society.

And, so long as I can resist acting out my own perverted desires (keep the plank out of my own eye), I will continue to judge the perverted behaviors of others.

In fact, I am counting on others to judge me, for I am weak...and were it not for the accountability that I have to the judgements of my  community, family, friends, God and church... well... I would be a very bad boy.

Steve