percy-l - Re: [percy-l] In and About the world

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: David Alan Beck <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] In and About the world
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:16:04 -0500 (EST)

Jim P.,
I agree with this and your previous posting. As for the incarnational
aspect, isn't that where Marcel comes in? Some secondary sources (I can't
remember who--that was back in my graduate schools days) point out the
incarnational aspect of Marcel's writings. But, if "the other" leads us to
a greater realization of our selves, isn't there something incarnational
about our encounters with others (of course, Buber and Levinas have a
similar view, without the incarnational understanding (at least not in the
Christian sense). But I think that is what Marcel is getting at in
Creative Fidelity and Being and Having.
I wish I had more time to pull out my Marcel books and revisit them, but
the semester begins on Wednesday, and I need to buckle down and get ready
(no time for this fun stuff--the hoofbeats are approaching!).
-David