percy-l - RE: [percy-l] "...to the gas chamber..."

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Ken Armstrong <armstron AT ohiou.edu>
  • To: marcus AT loyno.edu,<percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] "...to the gas chamber..."
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:59:02 -0500

Having just emerged from the greeting card section of a local shop, in search of a "sympathy" card, it does seem that prepackaged sentiments are the order of the day. I like your observation about buying our way out of the post 9/11 reality. Why is "shop and spend" our counter? Why not "attend your local place of worship" (I don't think that would have caused a problem with the establishment clause). At any rate, the call to shop didn't ring true.

Ken Armstrong