percy-l - Re: transcendence and immanence

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "James Piat" <piat1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: transcendence and immanence
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:43:17 -0500

> 1. He briefly mentions Eudora Welty as a person who's immanent self had
expanded to encompass her transcendant self. He stated that she could
finish writing a transcendant novel and then go make small talk at the local
post office without any problem of re-entry. Isn't that the answer he was
looking for?

Dear David,

This rings a bell with me. That does seem to be part of the answer he was
seeking --and seeking to find satisfaction in that answer.

I wonder does any one know what if any influence Dewey had upon him --or
what he thought of Dewey's attempts to resolve dualisms.

Best