percy-l - Re: transcendence and immanence

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: rflynn AT GUILFORD.EDU
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: transcendence and immanence
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:16:16 -0500

I was wondering if anyone could elucidate the terms "transcendence" and
"immanence." I'm writing an undergaduate Honor's thesis on Percy and one of
my chapters is on Lost in the Cosmos. I know that these two terms are used
by Catholics to describe our two-fold relationship with God. How does this
relate to Percy's use of them in Lost in the Cosmos? Percy's use of them
seems slightly denigrating. If anyone knows of any articles that deal with
this, I would love to know what they are.