pcplantdb - State of PIW

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb-piwdev <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: State of PIW
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:28:59 -1000

Aloha,

Wow, I'm surprised and a little hurt by this evaluation of the current
version (0.3.1) of PIW on <http://dev.permaculture.info/>. While your
evaluation is highly accurate of the current live version I think very
significant progress has been made on dev.

Some time back you said you were going to go ahead and move dev to live so I assumed it already was. However I see now it's not.
This is one of the problems with such an unorganized 'project'.

Meanwhile if I enter

shade loving legume

in the search box the first item returned is a bamboo (which although it apparently is OK in partial shade does not appear to be "shade loving" in any major way...).
Nothing on the first page is a legume.

If I enter

legume shade loving

nothing on the first page is a legume.

If I simply enter

legume

nothing on the first page is a leguminosae

Meanwhile if I enter

shade loving legume

in google I get about five immediately relevant hits on the first page, actually links to pages with information about some specific shade-loving legume plant or plants. One or two even have a hint of companion plant/guild allusions in the info provided.

Nothing personal Chad. It's just that with my hard-ass testing hat on, the above tells me that all else being equal I'm going to use google to find plant information.

....That said I think that much of the framework for gathering
this data is in place, and as it is today PIW is EXTREMELY useful for
figuring out what plants might work well with others,

How? Please give some examples.

Maybe the best thing to do is to announce it widely and open it up to all comers to play with.
That would get some quantity of real-world feedback as to its usefulness.

With me saying it's pretty useless and Chad saying it's EXTREMELY useful, I'd say we need a lot more feedback.
So I reverse my previous postion that it shouldn't be public yet.
Put it out there and let's see what happens.

hi ho,