pcplantdb - Re: Report to Threshold

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Report to Threshold
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:25:46 -1000

Aloha,

questions:
-do we still want to work on this project?

Not in its current state, namely DIW (Dead In Water) except for Bear's recent efforts of interest.
When I ask for a measly $500 @ $15/hr to improve/polish the issue tracker based on feedback from group use so far and the response is deafening silence my motivation vanishes like Descartes when he stops thinking.

-do we consider this project worthwile (even if we personally don't want to
work on it)?

From a functionality standpoint I don't find much that's been done so far worthwhile, with the possible exception of where Bear has started exploring. I can get more plant information faster using Google than using current PIW. As I posted some time ago based on an ad hoc case study drawn from a question on a permaculture list, PIW is currently pretty useless for even basic plant searches.

-is it justifiable to retain Threshold funding???

I don't know what the terms of the funding are.
If we have formal agreements and we've not met them then I think the money should be returned. If we don't have formal agreements and/or what we have have not been broken then it's an open question.
If others turn up to move the project forward then by all means apply the money to it.

FWIW nobody who's somewhat of a key player can go completely AWOL on a software development project and assume/expect that it will keep on chugging without them. Since we've all done our share of AWOL I'm not surprised PIW is DIW.

not angry. I appreciate you all and have enjoyed working and non-working with
you ;) but wanting HONESTY.

Likewise...hope the above suits.

I Mua,