pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] BBC NEWS | Technology | Wikipedia tightens online rules

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] BBC NEWS | Technology | Wikipedia tightens online rules
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:00:41 -0500

webmaster@pfaf.org wrote:

Relax, in general I'd say wikipedia coped well and responsivly to the situation. As soon as they were made aware of the situation it was fixed. In most places the more radical or reactionary views are kept in

I completely agree and I heard it all on the radio, plesant dialog between
John Seigenthaler and Jimmy Wales.
John was polite and cool. When askes about a lawsuit he simply said "That's not
me". Really nice guy.
Wales said that they will fix the history problem which is mostlty what John
was concerned about.

I am amazed that the problem arose in the first place; my problem for not having spent anough time in Wikipedia to see how it functions. They are now requiring user authentication before edits are allowed. Good idea. They would have had to come to this eventually, I'll bet.

check by the majority. Its only because Seigenthaler page was a very minor one that the error went unnoticed for so long.

As an example of the responsiveness of wikipedia an artical I created
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herrmann_Brain_Dominance_Instrument
on a particular system for assessing learning styles is currently up for deletion. So I'm quite aware of the editorial control in wikipedia.

I don't understand why it might be deleted rather than reviewed, edited and
otherwise improved upon.
That's a fascinating iece of information. Hope you don't mind copying part of it to the list; some may find it inspirational one way of another.
<>
The Ned Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument was developed by Ned Herrmann while the manager of management education at GE's Crotonville, and involves a Four Quadrant Model of Thinking Preferences. In this model, Ned Herrmann identifies four different modes of thinking summarized by:

* A. Analytical thinking.
o Key word: logical, factual, critical, technical and quantitative.
o Preferred activities: collecting data, listening to informational lectures, reading textbooks. Judging ideas based on facts, criteria and logical reasoning.
* B. Sequential thinking.
o Key word: conservative, structured, organised, detailed, planned.
o Preferred activities: following directions, repetitive detail home work problems, time management and schedules.
* C. Interpersonal thinking.
o Key word: kinaesthetic, emotional, spiritual, sensory, feeling.
o Preferred activities: listening to and sharing ideas, looking for
personal meaning, sensory input, group study.
* D. Imaginative thinking.
o Key word: Visual, holistic, intuitive, innovative, and conceptual.
o Preferred activities: Looking at the big picture, taking initiative, simulations (what if questions), visual aids. Appreciate beauty of a problem, brainstorming.

To this should be added whole brain thinking, characterised by an equal
balance of all four.
<>
Out of interest I'm working on an article on Yeomans Keyline planning system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyline_Planning
your welcome to contribute.

Three cheers! Do you all have one or access to one near your community? Have
you tried it yet?

You are welcome to add this anecdote to your Yeomans entry if you feel it might be useful or I may do it myself with info on suppliers. I have a few documents online about the Yeomans you might want to have a look at,
lots of basic info, suppliers and endorsements:
http://market-farming.com/tractor-tillage-equipment+methods.txt
If you decide to do one on gardening and homesteading hand tools here's a
useful sourcelist, much in need of updating:
http://market-farming.com/gardening-hand-tools.faq

<>
Biointensive market farmer in North Carolina says:

I own one and have set it up with a single straight 6' toolbar (4" square tubing, 3/8" wall) with Category 2 3-point hitch. Its the only tractor implement I own that I havent assembled or used yet but I plan to this winter for use in dry weather next spring. You have to be very careful not to subplow wet soil with it. Guesing soil moisture 2' deep or deeper is a trick but possible. Mine is a 3 shank system strictly for tilthing and deepening tilth in long, very wide, high raised vegetable growing beds. I will probably use it for field prep, following already done deep single shank heavy subsoiling, with bed formation to follow. Bed formation is accomplished with two pairs of opposed 26" round discs
mounted on a double 8' toolbar. This 1100lb. implement is so heavy it actually plows deep while creating beds; more passes the deeper it goes and the higher the bed becomes. Annually I will use the Yeomans plow to rejuvenate the beds with deep tilthing, without altering the shape of the beds or turning soil. There is no tool like the Yeomans and nothing can equal the tilthing it performs.