pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] BBC NEWS | Technology | Wikipedia tightens online rules

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: webmaster@pfaf.org
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] BBC NEWS | Technology | Wikipedia tightens online rules
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 00:53:33 +0000

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

John Seigenthaler is on NPR's Talk Of The Nation show right now, discussing
the entry made about him in Wikipedia.
At least he has this opportunity for access to good PR with which he can
exonerate himself.

.... and Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia, who said that they can and will
always purge the revision histories
of all offensive submissions (my words).

I didn't know that Wikipedia had, in part, turned into a nasty BBS
(electrobulletinboardservice)
for whiners, those sans alife and other malcontents and misfits intent on dominating someone
> else's podium with their
radical political and social views of what they see as the world.

Relax, in general I'd say wikipedia coped well and responsivly to the situation. As soon as they were made aware of the situation it was fixed. In most places the more radical or reactionary views are kept in check by the majority. Its only because Seigenthaler page was a very minor one that the error went unnoticed for so long.

As an example of the responsiveness of wikipedia an artical I created
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herrmann_Brain_Dominance_Instrument
on a particular system for assessing learning styles is currently up for deletion. So I'm quite aware of the editorial control in wikipedia.

Out of interest I'm working on an article on Yeomans Keyline planning system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyline_Planning
your welcome to contribute.