pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] I'm back

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org, piw@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] I'm back
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:05:35 -0500

Actually barn building is much more predictable that software
development. If anything I under estimated what I was hoping to get
done and even got started on the next phase. I now have a 14x30 pole
barn with 10/12 pitch steel roof and 8' peak haymow. It's situated on
a pond dam that is 20 degrees east of south (perfect) and I figure I
have about 2 weeks of morning/evening excavation digging out the lower
story.

Anway, I'm back and will try and release a 0.3.1 (minor bug fixes,
Rich's suggestions, optimizations) sometime today or tomorrow although
I have gotten zero actual bug reports about 0.3.0. Does this mean I'm
good or aren't folks playing with it (other than Rich)?

I'm really wanting to finish up what we agreed to do for our Threshold
grant so we can have a respectable on time final report and a decent
chance at refunding. I'm not finding a copy of the application
locally or on the wiki so I'm forgetting all the promises we made. I
know relationships is something we promised and I hope to have
something to work with by the end of the week. It would also be nice
to have some sort of GBI demonstration integrated with the project. I
can help with this (esp. getting data to the GBI client from the
server) but I would be stoked if either Bear or Rich wanted to do
most/all of this. Did we promise locales? If not I would like to
leave this out of 1.0. It's a lot of work and still not clear to me
how to do it without being overly restrictive or overly general. We
need to do a bunch of interface cleanup and I'm counting on others to
help out here, esp. suggesting changes to things that would make
things more user friendly. After that, lets just test and bug fix.
What else is there? I'm surely forgetting something.

I am still interested in doing some fun stuff off the clock like
implementing images. Lawrence (or others), do you have some photos of
stuff I can use for testing. I also want to do a custom xml-rpc
client that merges the usda.gov plant databases with PIW. This would
increase our total plants to the 40k range. This is actually a lot
easier than you might think and doing it as walk-through/howto would
provide a good document for future client development.

Cheers,
Chad