pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] [synthesis][38][7.12.05]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][38][7.12.05]
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:52:58 -0700

hello everyone,

First of all, congratulations to Chad for release 0.2.0! I look forward
to enjoying some “breaking pleasure” (Bear, I’d like to do this
together). A few items of note:

-For the most part, folks (myself included) don’t seem to be checking out
each other’s documents/developments - i.e. John’s testing doc, Bear and
my user scenario doc. Is this problematic? Perhaps, in the face of
successful collaboration. So I suggest that we each (at least Chad,
Johns, Bear, Rich, myself) take the necessary time (probably less than 1
hour total) to familiarize ourselves with what others are up to. This
includes:

1. playing with Chad’s latest release (www.permaculture.info)
2. reading John’s testing doc (http://www.permaculture.info/wiki/
index.php?n=QAAndTest.WritingBugs)
3. checking out the issue tracker, writing up bugs if necessary (https://
www.arashi.com/roundup/piw/index)
4. reading Bear and my user experience doc, and editing if necessary
(http://www.permaculture.info/wiki/index.php?n=Main.RichClient)

Are the links above correct? Please complete these tasks sometime within
the next 2 weeks.

-Related, I’d also like to post a message to the PIW list with a similar
list of tasks – letting list members how they can help out in specific
ways. I assume I should ask them to perform tasks 1, 2, and 3 – but not
4 yet (until we tighten it up). Do we all agree? And is there anything
else I can ask PIW list members to help with?

-I’m curious where we’re at in the grander scheme of PIW. Are we ready
for new data (i.e. from Paula Westmoreland)? Or is Chad still
implementing data only from PFAF? So far, how does PIW differ from other
existing databases? I would Love a response.

-Regarding funding, I am not so interested in advertising for nurseries.
I would rather have PIW not contain any ads – but I guess if they’re
embedded in comments, they’d be less intrusive. What do others think
about this? The Pay Pal idea is a good one – but I believe it costs
quite a bit of money and work to set up a Pay Pal account. I’ve asked
Scott, so I’ll report back. And I will also be submitting more grant
applications.

Fantastic work, everyone. And yes, Chad – please do something more fun
if you feel you need it!

tchau
*Stephanie