pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][38][7.12.05]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][38][7.12.05]
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:06:54 +0100

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
hello everyone,

First of all, congratulations to Chad for release 0.2.0! I look forward to enjoying some “breaking pleasure” (Bear, I’d like to do this together). A few items of note:

-For the most part, folks (myself included) don’t seem to be checking out each other’s documents/developments - i.e. John’s testing doc, Bear and my user scenario doc. Is this problematic? Perhaps, in the face of successful collaboration. So I suggest that we each (at least Chad, Johns, Bear, Rich, myself) take the necessary time (probably less than 1 hour total) to familiarize ourselves with what others are up to.

I second that.

> This
includes:

1. playing with Chad’s latest release (www.permaculture.info) 2. reading John’s testing doc (http://www.permaculture.info/wiki/
index.php?n=QAAndTest.WritingBugs) 3. checking out the issue tracker, writing up bugs if necessary (https://
www.arashi.com/roundup/piw/index) 4. reading Bear and my user experience doc, and editing if necessary (http://www.permaculture.info/wiki/index.php?n=Main.RichClient)

I've done some changes to this. I've created a Spec top level group to hold all documentation relating to the specifications.

For thr RichClient page this has now been moved to subsections of Spec.Specifications. In particular Spec.UserScenarios, Spec.Schema and Spec.Graphical. Its not entirely correct as some of the RichClient stuff is specific for this client and other stuff is more general. Working out user senarios is definitely something which should happen for the vanilla web client.

Are the links above correct? Please complete these tasks sometime within the next 2 weeks.

It might be a good idea to try unig the issue tracker to assign tasks. It could be a good way of checking progress. (Ponders, how could we do multi user tasks in issue tracker?)

-Related, I’d also like to post a message to the PIW list with a similar list of tasks – letting list members how they can help out in specific ways. I assume I should ask them to perform tasks 1, 2, and 3 – but not 4 yet (until we tighten it up). Do we all agree? And is there anything else I can ask PIW list members to help with?

I'd like to wait for Chads go ahead on this. I think theres still a round of bug checking first.

-I’m curious where we’re at in the grander scheme of PIW. Are we ready for new data (i.e. from Paula Westmoreland)? Or is Chad still implementing data only from PFAF? So far, how does PIW differ from other existing databases? I would Love a response.

I'd like to try adding the TANPLANT data soon.

-Regarding funding, I am not so interested in advertising for nurseries. I would rather have PIW not contain any ads – but I guess if they’re embedded in comments, they’d be less intrusive. What do others think about this? The Pay Pal idea is a good one – but I believe it costs quite a bit of money and work to set up a Pay Pal account. I’ve asked Scott, so I’ll report back. And I will also be submitting more grant applications.

Yes I'd prefer to remain advert free. I think the issue of supliers lists is a long way off.

As for PayPal it is actually very easy to set up. All you need is an email address and a bank account. I set up a new paypal account last week and it took an hour.

Fantastic work, everyone. And yes, Chad – please do something more fun if you feel you need it!