pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: [piw] Information I would like to see

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: [piw] Information I would like to see
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:45:23 -0800 (PST)

Watch those synonyms and homonyms. The usual protocol
is to set up a detailed query tool for each side of
the transformation and one for the transformed data
set. Data element documentation includes elements
from the transformed database with the transformation
from each data source element. This can be both
graphical and on a spreadsheet of some sort. The
implementation is then just a matter of following the
transformation rules and using the query tools to spot
check the data. For brevity, the approved transformed
database can be used directly, as these are not live
databases requiring a scheduled cut-over date. Data
cleansing should be performed prior to mapping
analysis.

I did this with Lotus's old Maxcim VMS parts databases
to the IBM Corporate standards. This can be very
frustrating in surprising ways. Accepted data values
and active participation are very important to not
waste months of time talking and not doing.
Fortunately, this is a tiny little data set and very
straight forward current model (judging from the eden
database).

So, ... what's the data model going to look like?
Does it make sense to see what Heide has for us to
compare notes? Also, what about HTML scrapping the
other online databases like PLANTS and Hortiplex?

On the modeling, wouldn't it make sense to have things
like a separate table for things like family, genus,
etc? This helps prevent fabricated data by enforcing
the generally accepted scientific classifications.
When a new family of plants is found, rare as that
would be, we could have a separate admin page to add
it in. This alone will make the database smaller and
therefore reduce search times; imagine the table
botanical_names having integer keys instead of
character fields and botanical in-string operations
happening only for the discreet values, rather than
for every plant in the database.

One step at a time...

-Sean.