pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] status

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] status
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:17:51 -0800 (PST)

Financial databases as both a DBA and SQL programmer
(Sybase primarily). Apps include Mutual Fund
Accounting and Control, Portfolio Accounting, and
anonymous Bond Trading web site (yes the boom boom
room days are over). I am currently a DBA that has
mostly programmed myself out of work (they have me
helping the perl programmers re-write their data
access code and write/modify PHP reports, while they
try to figure out why I have no DBA work).

Locally, I am helping with the Green Phoenix
Sustainable Communities (www.green-phoenix.org) NYC
group to establish financial streams for the promotion
of permaculture and NVC (non-violent communication).
I participate in the business group helping to develop
business models fitting triple bottom line accounting.
We are putting together a plan to start Aquaponics
operations in the city. Other parts of GP have been
establishing ties to the Methodist Church, where they
have been loosing their shirts running a children's
camp. We have proposed permaculture as a solution for
reducing expenses and using both NVC training and a
CSA demonstration farm to increase their financial
viability.

I have been working with computer technology since
CP/M was first available (Late 70's, early 80's). My
first computer language was Z-80 assembler, which
didn't work so well until I learned the electronics
and microprocessor operation. I'm self educated and
have only been through some college course work;
mostly electronics, but also Computer Science.

I am slowly developing the site
www.permaculturemarketplace.com which would need
EMERGY values or some equivalent measure from the PIW
project. As much money as I make at my day job, NYC
costs are getting astounding and I better have a game
plan if the markets crash or I programmed myself out
of work. Please excuse the ads on my site, but it's
at least a start to potentially float me if I need it.
With enough revenue from my site, I hope to develop
automated food production systems; robotics or a sort,
but more practical than combat robotics, which is what
the field has become.

Let me know if you want more info or specific skills,
API, etc.

-Sean.