pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] status

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] status
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:28:44 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:
Just checked and there are 270 books already listed in the dataset.
There are currently no references to anything other than a book.

I've aculuminated lots of references to other web databases which also contain details of the different plants.

This raises another interesting point, being what is the 'reference'
for the 30 - 40 little bits of data we have like height, preferred
moisture level, etc. Currently they are the product of the research
and experience of Ken Fern, but how do we indicate that and how do we
indicate a change of one element of the thirty plus elements.
> Some
things are missing and some things are, in my experience/locale,
wrong, so changes need to be made. How do we track
accountability/reputation in this?

Yep, I've though about a more fine grained comments situation. Consider the data for a particular plant as consisting of a number of "Sections", such as Physical Characteristics, Edible Uses, Medicinal Uses, ...

It could be posible to attach a comment to each section. So if you had a new bit of info about a plant's edible uses the comment could appear in the Edible uses section.

This sort of system, might actually encourage more focussed comments rather than general rants about the plant. It does make the interface a bit more complicated though.

I've done something like this
on the experimantal system I put together at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/pcplantdb/index.php