pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[28][thanksgiving]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[28][thanksgiving]
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:42:36 -0800

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

2. Lawrence and I both like the idea of writing a non-technical summary of the manner in which information will be organized – for our purposes and to post on our website (and perhaps for grantors as well!). Chad,

GOOD project for us - or some of us

3. Lawrence and I also both liked the idea of making a list of Pc-centric characteristics (which you will be able to search by, learn about, and potentially sort by as well). Chad, would you like to make the first

VERY GOOD project to work on

4. To all the techies in the house – would it be possible to ‘sort results’ by multiple characteristics? I prefer Lawrences tree to my cube – stick to the metaphor, of course!

I was thinking of a 3 dimensional sort (your suggestion) of attributes with
each dimension
accessing a tree of related, organized attribute possibilities [maybe I need
to think about that one for a while
and map it out on paper]. Ex. one atribute might be nitrogen fixation and a
tree of related attribute data about that
might be which bacteria species are symbiotic with which plants and it/they
like which soil conditions and which climate -
all data that might link to other plants and other ecosystems or ecological
niches in the database.

So I wanted to let you all know that I’m really looking forward to spending considerably more time on hg (again) soon – really sprucing up the website,

researching IE, brainstorming the UI and user experience,

I look forward to contributing to this any way I can.