pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] SARE?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] SARE?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:05:18 -0700

Wow, this is very exciting.

Johns, I completely agree with you that this could be an entirely new
direction/initiative - but Lawrence, I completely agree with you that it's a
definite possibility we should pursue. I also think that if we refrain from
"re-inventing the wheel" and integrate ourselves within the already existing
SARE network, we can prevent this from becoming a "particularly heinous
example of 'feature creep.'"

I'd like to respond to a few things Lawrence wrote:

“It has already been infiltrated, they already know about permaculture and
use it. What they need is what we can offer, PIW.” Hmm, not according to
the SARE representatives from Hawaii, New Mexico, and California that I spoke
with last week. Hawaii and New Mexico said they were definitely interested in
Permaculture, and California thought it would be a stretch (that most
extension agents have never heard of Permaculture, but are certainly becoming
more and more interested in organic agriculture). So there is definitely room
for more infiltration!

“There is a sustainable farming curriculum with a permaculture course at one
of the community colleges. So, yes, Extension is interested in permaculture,
teaching it and promoting it.” That’s wonderful! Can you tell me more
about this? It would be a great reference for future conversations with
extension agents.

”Steve Diver, who is on this list and used to be an Extension agent, can
tell you a lot more about this.” Great tip, Lawrence – I’ll get in
touch with him.

“As for USDA, they are already involved with permaculture in various ways,
especially as far as library resources are concerned. The National
Agricultural Library has a collection called The Alternative Farming Systems
Information Center; this is the group that would likely be the most interested
in PIW and might promote it widely. A SARE grant proposal might include
establishing a relationship between PIW and AFSIC. USDA already hosts a number
of databases, some created by Dr. James Duke, herbalist.” This sounds like
a potentially fruitful endeavor, I’ll look into it.

“Online resources are part of this program; PIW is a tool and is online so
it will fit perfectly in to their outreach program.” Nice.

“We need to help create those types of relationships all over the country;
our relationship with USDA, mostly through Extension and AFSIC, will go a long
way toward making this happen.” Yes exactly. I will reiterate what I
already wrote to you (as excerpted from the unfinished SARE proposal) – that
we must mimic the kinds of relationships we seek to portray, and weave
similarly symbiotic relationships with other sustainable agriculture education
entities, integrating ourselves within the existing guild(s) of sustainable
agriculture research and education.

So, I will get in touch with Steve Diver and look into The Alternative Farming
Systems Information Center. Any other already-existing relationships between
Permaculture and USDA agencies?

peace
*Stephanie