pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on IV

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on IV
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:10:50 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

> Can you let us know:
> 1) what Rich has decided

I guess we are waiting on Rich for this.

> 2) what you have decided

A key difference between us Lawrence is that I don't *just decide*
independent of the group. I have not *made a decision*, I have stated
a preference. I am supportive of group decisions not individual ones.

> 3) what you and Rich have both agreed to work on together
> 4) if the project is to be split into two groups
> > How about letting us know what the hosting/platform decision is
> going to be. You did say that the timeframe for your doing this was
> 36 hours, which has already elapsed.

36 hours has elapsed and I'm still here just answering emails and
wondering why I didn't choose to take the job and build the boiler
room onto the common house.

And I'm wondering why I spent countless hours and lots of $$ on phone calls working on this project instead of ignoring it and spending all that time developing my numerous raised bed gardens. Every one here (except R Archer, who prefers shooting flaming arrrows into
other people's bridges) has put a lot of time into this. The only difference between them (the non programmers) and you is that you will get paid when real work begins, and probably paid well over time.

You could, as you suggested you might, start work on ibiblio today. You would
then be in alignment with Rich's preferences automagically,
which, according to what he has posted here, does not include development in
a Zope-only environment or hosting for the long term anywhere
other than ibiblio. I believe that a Zope 3 platform, bought for ibiblio sometime in the future, after work has already been done using resources ibiblio currently offers, might be a good option to consider, a combination of the two, if that is possible or even desired.
Rich seems to offer a better argument for MySQL/RDBMS/Python/whatever as far
as I am able to determine. If it can be done, adding Zope3
to ibiblio later may offer interesting possibilities. I assume Zope 3 is not
yet available or stable enough for serious use.