pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Chad,

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Chad,
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:59:56 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:

So there's this new tool out that I've been calling eden. Right now
it is only an interface to the PFAF dataset, but I'm quite pleased
with it. You can test a live version at <http://galatea.org/eden>. I
plan to have an alpha version code release available before I leave for
Thanksgiving.

Looking good.

I'm going to blab on about some of it's design and features now. In
order to achieve the level of abstraction necessary, I developed in
parallel a text CLI and web/html interface. Internally all of the
data is represented in an xml affectionately known as kfml and then
parsed to text or html based on the client. To increase performance
pages are cached [at the client level] based on input. The search
engine has been improved. It can search the entire PFAF dataset from
a single string doing substring matches in all name columns (fuzzy
spelling), and has a vocabulary of 130+ words that could increase to
thousands with little performance loss. Just try it.

Is kfml a home brew thing? I can't find any references on the web.

A couple of sugestions,
1) some help as to what you can search for. How do I find
"plants with edible tubers growing on acid soil"
Hum, 7360 search results! Search box could be bigger.
2) context of search results, if its not just a latin name
or common name. I like to give a bit of the phrase
around the matched word.

ttfn

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719