pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Somewhere to start

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Somewhere to start
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:36:12 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

Seems to me the first thing to work on is modeling - DB design, schema,
normalization - assuming we are going with RDB instead of object. IMO true
guild modeling is dynamic systems modeling (don't forget time dimension) and
an object DB model fits better.

In any case, whatever UIs get built need a reasonably appropriate and stable
DB and API to use for data access. UI just needs to be enough to test DB and
API for now - KISS. Also makes it much easier to isolate sources of bugs if
the UI isn't full of them too.

As long as the DB & API design is extensible we can start simple (a plant info
DB with permaculture designing and guilds in mind) and then add complexity.

My assumption is that a wide variety of UIs will be possible - and desirable -
based on same DB and API. We need to keep a very clean separation there to
make that possible.

cheers,

Cultural & Ecological Designing