pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] budget q's

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] budget q's
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:22:42 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

Thanks for all your work on this. Just a few quick comments on selected items
- not much help on actual numbers myself...

Budget Project

Equipment/Technology
• Hardware
o new PC for everyone involved (4-5) don’t think we really need this…

I don't - prefer to re-use existing hardware, there's plenty of used boxes
(and peripherals) out there with more than enough horsepower. Another new
machine = another machine headed for landfill.

o server costs don’t know much about this

I assume free if ibiblio hosts.

o Digital cameras I’m sure a few people already have, or can borrow

agreed

o Scanners at least one on each continent, so for example, all U.S.
photos can
be sent to some central media-collecting location (but ideally decentralized)

Good idea. I have typical flatbed scanner.

o support contracts don’t know what this means (Richard Morris
suggested it, I
will ask him)

Means we pay people to take care of our hardware and/or software. Typical
corporate thing - outsource parts of Information Services/Information
Technology (IS/IT) work, such as maintaining hardware and/or software,
networks, etc. etc.

Seems not applicable to our project IMO.

• Software costs
o Dreamweaver I’m sure people have
o Flash I’m sure people have

If someone owns 'em and wants to use 'em for eventual UI creation I have no
objection, but I don't support using money that might be raised for this
project to buy proprietary commercial software.

o If MS, then need Windows (CE_ME_NT) don’t know what this means, have
to ask
Richard Morris

UI will be browser on any platform - nothing to buy from M$. Back end is open
source - nothing to buy from M$. Scratch this item.

• Website
o Domain Name could be free with ibiblios

Registraton of name costs ~$10-$15 a year or so.

o Host could be free with ibiblios

My assumption also.

Overhead
• Rent is this generally included?

Rent for what/whom/where?

•Wages what is conventional? By the hour? Week? Month? Year?

As a tech contractor I normally bill/get paid by the hour. In the USA tech
jobs are either "contract/temp" and hourly rates, or "full
time/permanent/salaried" and paid based on year's salary, at the level of the
individual worker anyhow.

• Marketing/Publicity Costs don’t know much about this, must do some
research.

Guerilla marketing, culture jamming - look at alternatives to the usual
systems.

cheers,

Cultural & Ecological Designing