pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] so i am the email monster

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] so i am the email monster
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:03:04 +0000

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

sorry about all these emails folks, but just needin your help right now...

so about keeping up maintenance once the grant period is over. is it safe to assume that:

"The web resource will be self-sustainable, not requiring a permanent salaried moderator (a responsibility we will assume throughout the grant period). Instead, after the grant period is over, responsibility of moderating the resource will be bassed on the interest and volunteer efforts of constituents."

"We hope to build on and expand the project in future
years, before completion of the project we hope to investigate
sources of continued funding" i.e. inducate to them that it could
be the start of something.

I have a feeling that volunteers will most probably keep the project
running, indeed a measure of sucess will be if we have a good
user base. If we build in an appropriate web-based user interface
then most of the editorial tasks can be carried out by the user base
(examples of this include slashdot.org).

this would be ideal. but will it work? what do you think? how to situate this resource within its own guild, so we (initial project participants) can can step back and watch it sustain itself?

back to writing...
*s

--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants