pcplantdb - Re: [Re: [Re: [pcplantdb] budget q's]]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Re: [Re: [pcplantdb] budget q's]]
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:30:32 -0800

ahhh, I understand Rich.

yes, I would also Love for this project to help out PFAF (and paying for
the images would make perfect sense, in that case).

but, I guess I would like to see this project happen in a way where we
would never end up in debt. like I said, practicing permie principles
along the way - using available resources when possible, stacking
functions, etc. ya dig?

and that's what the foundations want to see, that we are being
resourceful. so it would be wonderful to help out PFAF, but that
shouldn't drive us to include costs that don't make sense for this
project. (versus licensing the images, which makes TOTAL sense)

sent in the application, so wish us luck!

I'll be out of touch pretty much till 2004, so have a wonderful rest of
the year...

been such a pleasure working with you thus far, I admire your dedication

peace
*Stephanie

Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org> wrote:

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

> how's it going Rich?
>
> So I am working hard today trying to crank out our finalized budget for
2
> interested foundations (yahooo!) befor I leave the country. but wanted
> to ask you some quick q's:
>
> -is there any way we could get free/cheaper access to PFAF image
> database, especially if you are on both teams? $830 (500 pounds) is a
> lot of money.

Basically the deal is PFAF is skint we are £100,000 in debt.
We have virtually no income and our only real product
of value (the database) we mainly give away free. A lot
of prior work has gone into the database (probably about
10 man years). It would be nice if there was someway
in which the project could financially help pfaf.

The plant images are for us a way we can add value to the CDROM
version of the database. If they are publically availiable
on the internet we loose the added value.

So currently the images are not available for free.

> -which agro-forestry journal have you had your eye on? please be
> specific. and what would be your estimated cost for books/journals?

Not had any response form Ken yet. A £100/year budget would
be cool.

> -Insurance- we would have to pay PFAF $400/year? for PFAF to be our
> fiscal sponsor, you mean? because we have been offered fiscal
> sponsorship by Cross Timbers and the Permaculture Institute - and
neither
> mentioned extra costs. so maybe we should go with that?

Not really, I know its a cost we bear. It might work best if
some part of my wages go to pfaf.

> hope to hear from you sooooooooon

soon enough I hope

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants