pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] long term support

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] long term support
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:47:12 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

Re: the below, one option is to specifically seek to eventually be taken in
under some larger umbrella group (NGO/nonprofit/etc.) that will support the
sub-activity long-term.

A friend of mine has a nonprofit that she is seeking to do exactly that with,
and says so in her grant applications. In her case, though, her program aims
to be self-supporting fee-for-service at that point; the adoption by a
national organization is to make the services more widely available and
recognized, not to get financial support directly.

We're aiming to have a free resource available, so the question here would be
"what's in it for them?" to take the project in and support it long-term.

One advantage of doing this without much money at all is that if it still
happens, it will probably keep going if we're not totally wrong about how
useful it will be.

If it only happens because there's a bunch of money for an initial development
period, everyone might bail when the money runs out. Of course since it's
open source it will still be "out there" and others might pick it up.

> so about keeping up maintenance once the grant period is over. is it
> safe to assume that:
>
> "The web resource will be self-sustainable, not requiring a permanent
> salaried moderator (a responsibility we will assume throughout the grant
> period). Instead, after the grant period is over, responsibility of
> moderating the resource will be bassed on the interest and volunteer
> efforts of constituents."
>
> this would be ideal. but will it work? what do you think? how to
> situate this resource within its own guild, so we (initial project
> participants) can can step back and watch it sustain itself?

Cultural & Ecological Designing