pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] database project

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] database project
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> I've also been thinking of the economics of it all. Programs
> like this seem to need continuous mantanace input. I always say
> it took me 1 week to put the pfaf site together and 6 years to
> maintain it.

I know what you mean... :-/

> There is also need of some sort of editorial input
> as info is always being added.

I think this is really the crux of the project - more so than the actual
development of a platform for the information.

That is, once there's a functional repository for information, how does
information get added, by whom, and how is it validated?

> Maintance also get harder if the
> project has been done by a third party.

Or is impossible (for the DB engine that is), if the source is proprietary.

> Is it going to me a web only thing, or a cd-rom thing? Different
> markets and different economics.

I'm still assuming an open license product is being proposed, so
profit-oriented marketing doesn't enter into it. That doesn't mean money
can't be solicited/found and spent creating it though.

I'm also assuming a web app, since CDs will be out of date as soon as they're
burned if it's a dynamic DB, and would require additional development
time/effort as well.

> p.s. beware of developers. Our favorite hobby is to argue whether
> C/C++/Java/C#/php/xml/sql/wiki is better.

Python and Zope, obviously.

;-) ;-)

Cultural & Ecological Designing