pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: pcplantdb Digest, Vol 5, Issue 5

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: pcplantdb Digest, Vol 5, Issue 5
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:05:53 +0100

John writ:
I'd rather see whatever money could be generated for something like this
circulate within the Permaculture community and fund an open-source
community-developed database/resource, including functional support for those
with limited technological means.

I like this idea! Will work for food!

We teach that in permaculture, 'appropriate technology' is 'technology we can
appropriate for ourselves' - which Thinkmap is not.

Thanks for putting this out - perhaps it will revive the pcplantdb list a bit.

I agree with John on a lot of things.

I've also been thinking of the economics of it all. Programs
like this seem to need continuous mantanace input. I always say
it took me 1 week to put the pfaf site together and 6 years to
maintain it. There is also need of some sort of editorial input
as info is always being added. Maintance also get harder if the
project has been done by a third party.

Is it going to me a web only thing, or a cd-rom thing? Different
markets and different economics.

But at the end of the day if you can get the money go for it!

Rich

p.s. beware of developers. Our favorite hobby is to argue whether
C/C++/Java/C#/php/xml/sql/wiki is better.

--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719